The Nigeria Governors’ Forum Secretariat (NGFS) is made up of two (2) Departments namely; Finance and Administration, and Strategy and Research, each headed by an Executive Director. These Departments are composed of a number of units, with clearly defined schedules and responsibilities that work together towards achieving the objectives and goals of the Forum, as set out in the Strategic Plan 2010 – 2012.
FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
The Finance and Administration Department of the NGFS is structured to provide an environment that fosters effective and efficient performance, and flow of the Secretariat policies, processes and procedures, in order to achieve the mission and vision of the Forum as a whole. The department ensures the application of best practices in all spheres of operations which is crucial to providing the necessary tools and equipment required in a learning organization which NGFS intends to become.
The Department is made up of the following units: Administration/Accounts, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), and Protocol Services, with each of these units having defined responsibilities as stated below;
- Administration/logistics for NGF meetings.
- Implementation of Administrative Action Points from meetings and preparation of reports.
- Support the DG in setting Strategic and Operational direction and guidance to the NGF Secretariat, including the preparation of Strategic Plans, Operational Plans, Annual Reports, and Organizational Development.
- Identification and recruitment of staff to the NGF Secretariat (including procedures, vetting, operation of recruitment systems).
- Oversight of Staff reporting procedures and systems.
- Payroll and all staff payment related procedures.
- Development and implementation of effective operational and administrative procedures.
- Support development of Communication Strategy.
- Training coordination.
The core mandate of the ICT Unit is overseeing and administering the ICT platforms, technology, and strategies of the Secretariat and the Forum as a whole.
- Conducting unit testing to verify all ICT systems and equipment functions satisfactorily.
- Participation in review of technical designs
- Evaluation of Software vendors and Solutions.
- Developing IT network operations budget and ensuring operations meet approved budget levels.
- Ensuring Staff are IT literate to a level that will enable them deliver their duties accurately.
- System procurement and set up.
- Systems administration and maintenance.
- Maintenance of the website and NGF digital presence.
- Event planning and management.
- Travel arrangement for official engagements.
- Follow-up actions on SPRM
- Staff on etiquette and courtesy.
- Liaising with Ministries, Department and Parastatals.
- Ad hoc assistance
STRATEGY AND RESEARCH
The Strategy and Research Department is responsible for developing long term direction and scope for the organization to meet the need of its principals, fulfill stakeholder expectations and achieve strategic objectives and goals through the provision of sound policy advisory services.
The Department is comprised of the following units: Policy Analysis, Federal Liaison and Technical Support, and Research Consultancy and Publications.
Policy Analysis Unit:
- Responsible for policy conception through policy Evolution Analysis and Review.
- Ensuring timely, reliable rendition of accurate data and research materials on key
Development and Socio-Economic issues as they affect NGF and Stakeholders.
- Identifying, researching, collating and analyzing data on key public issues and producing reports for consideration by NGF and stakeholders.
- Providing a vehicle for debate on ideas and proposals on key public issues.
- Monitoring of follow up actions on key public policies.
Federal Liaison & Technical Support Unit
- Facilitation of sharing of information/ideas/solutions on mutual interest through preparation of reports and procedures, arrangements and participation in interstate visits.
- Arrange and hold meetings between relevant groups in the States and the Federal level on areas of mutual co-operations (as directed by the NGF), including meeting notes and follow up actions.
- Contribute to strategic and operational direction and guidance to the NGF Secretariat, including preparation of Strategic Plan, Organizational Development etc.
- Development and preparation of Strategic Plans, Operational Plans, Annual reports, Organizational development (including structure and procedure).
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Strategic and Operational Plans (including progress reports, etc).
- Lead development of effective operational procedures.
- Monitoring of follow up actions on Public Policy advice provided by NGF.
Research Consultancy & Publications Unit:
- Assist development of communications strategy for NGF.
- Overseeing implementation of communications strategy; monitoring and implementation of feedback mechanisms.
- Arrange media meetings/briefs, and issuance of press releases/statements.
- Research on key public policy issues as directed by NGF or identified by the Secretariat.
CURRENT ORGANISATIONAL STRUCTURE OF NIGERIA GOVERNORS’ FORUM SECRETARIAT (NGFS)